Title: Civil Technologist
Reports to: Survey Manager
Division: Land Group
What’s the Position
Catterall & Wright has an opportunity for an individual to join our survey team as a permanent, full-time Civil Technologist. This is a great opportunity for a dedicated individual who enjoys working outdoors, gaining hands-on experience in the field of construction & engineering.
We offer work-life balance with the majority of our projects local to Saskatoon and area, allowing our team members to be home with their families at night. This role has the opportunity to allow for taking time off in the winters months by using banked time accrued during the busy construction season that typically runs from April through to December.
- Adaptable, dependable and can demonstrate initiative.
- Team player, who can also work independently.
- Honest and reliable with a sense of practical awareness.
- Delivers quality work on time and in an efficient manner.
- Wiliness to travel and able to work out of town as needed.
- Appreciates outdoor work in all types of terrain and conditions.
- Perform construction or site inspections to ensure compliance with specifications and provide verbal reports regarding project status and progress to the Survey Manager and Project Manager.
- Provide resident engineering services on-site if required;
- Assist with administering and managing construction contracts, progress certificates and progress payments;
- Coordinate, schedule, attend meetings, take minutes and distribute as required (meetings could be inhouse/internal, client, contractor, project, etc.);
- Complete topographic surveys, construction layout surveys and record surveys for water, sewer, roadways and earth moving projects using GPS, rod & level or total station;
- Process survey data using appropriate control files and coordinate systems;
- Maintain complete and accurate field notes for survey projects;
- Complete site observations for municipal, transportation and asset management related projects;
- Provide regular updates and verbal reports on project status and progress;
- Read and understand project scope, specifications and drawings;
- Provide support to Survey Manager, Project Managers, Engineers, and design team;
- Assist with setting goals of the professional development program;
- Attend relevant training seminars;
- Assist with office requirements as required (filing, photocopying, scanning, etc.).
Who We Are Looking For
- Civil or Geomatics Engineering Technology diploma or a Civil Technician certificate.
- Relevant field and survey experience is required.
- Displays reliable and trustworthy presence and strong work ethic.
- Treats all information and materials confidentially.
- Effectively manages time and can tend to several projects concurrently.
- Ability to be organized, work quickly and accurately under pressure with particular attention to detail and accuracy of field notes.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and communication skills (verbal & written).
- Confident with computer programs and fluent with basic math skills.
- Maintains practical and professional demeanour in difficult and stressful situations.
- Ability to work outside in any weather conditions.
- Strong awareness of health and safety and possess a safety-conscious attitude.
- Must have a reliable vehicle for work and maintain a valid Saskatchewan Drivers License and insurance.
- Satisfactory clearance on Drivers Abstracts and Drug Testing, when deemed necessary.
- Physically active with the capability of regularly lifting or moving up to 50 lbs.
Why Join Catterall & Wright
Catterall & Wright has an inclusive and welcoming team atmosphere with many resources and supports to develop new team members, including job training, mentoring and coaching. We offer the opportunity to gain valuable experience working on a wide range of challenging and rewarding projects within Saskatchewan.
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- Cell phone, meals, mileage and expenses for accommodations will be compensated when required.
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities.
- A safe and healthy work environment.
- Work-life balance.
- Active social committee.
- Great Group Benefits Plan with Health Spending Account.
- RRSP Plan.
What to Do Now
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter identifying the position and resume outlining their skills, experience and interests by email to firstname.lastname@example.org attention Calen Miller, SLSIT, A.Sc.T. Subject line must reference “Civil Technologist.”
Thank you to everyone who applies; however, only selected candidates will be contacted. Offers of employment may require satisfactory Security Background Checks, Reference Checks, Drivers Abstracts and Drug Testing when deemed necessary.
Check out our website or Facebook for more information on who we are! If you’re looking for a challenge with valuable experience, this is the place for you.