Title: Engineering Assistant
Department: Land or Water Group
What’s the Position
Catterall & Wright has temporary opportunities available for Engineering Assistant(s) for land development, asset management, transportation, drainage and municipal infrastructure-focused projects within the industrial, residential and commercial markets. This position provides applicants with an opportunity to apply their knowledge in a professional environment and gain valuable experience working alongside experienced Project Managers, Designers and Engineers with opportunities to provide field assistance and resident engineering services during the construction season.
4-month term (May – August) 8-month (May – December)
- Adaptable and dependable with the ability to display initiative when needed;
- Team player who can also work independently;
- Thorough and methodic, yet efficient to ensure a quality product is produced.
- Wiliness to travel and able to work of town as needed.
- Assist with various tasks relating to design projects, including preliminary field observation, data compilation, reports, modelling, cost estimates, specifications, and project manuals;
- Assist with administering and managing construction contracts, progress certificates and progress payments;
- Coordinate, schedule, attend meetings, take minutes and distribute as required (meetings could be inhouse/internal, client, contractor, project, etc.) ;
- Assist field staff with topographic surveys, construction layout surveys and record surveys for water, sewer, roadways and earth moving projects using GPS, rod & level or total station;
- Assist with site observations for municipal, transportation and asset management-related projects. Complete related reports. Ensure contractors are constructing works in accordance with design plans and specifications;
- Provide regular updates and verbal reports on project status and progress;
- Read and understand project scope, specifications and drawings;
- Provide support to Project Managers, Engineers and design team;
- Assist with setting goals of the professional development program;
- Attend relevant training seminars;
- Assist in preparation of proposals, website updates, and/or marketing initiatives;
- Assist with office requirements as required (filing, photocopying, scanning, etc.).
Who We Are Looking For
- Educational qualifications will be considered: eligible for enrolment in the EPIP internship program, in the field of Civil Engineering or a Degree in Civil/Environmental Engineering;
- Interest in municipal infrastructure systems and practices for water and sewer systems, drainage, transportation, etc.;
- Displays reliable and trustworthy presence and strong work ethic;
- Treats all information and materials in a confidential manner;
- Effectively manages time and can tend to several projects concurrently;
- Ability to be organized, work quickly and accurately under pressure with a strong eye for detail;
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and communication skills;
- Be resourceful in research, increase product knowledge and demonstrate a sense of practical design;
- Confident with computer programs such as CAD/CIVIL 3D and fluent with MS Office;
- Maintain practical and professional demeanour in difficult and stressful situations;
- Strong awareness of health and safety and possess a safety-conscious attitude;
- Must be willing to travel and work out of town (expenses will be paid for this occurrence);
- Must have a reliable vehicle for work and maintain a valid Saskatchewan Drivers License and insurance.
- Satisfactory clearance on Drivers Abstracts, Drug Test and/or proof of COIVD-19 vaccinations when deemed necessary. Please Note: Many of the sites/projects we work on require proof of COVID-19 vaccinations. Prospective employees will not be asked to disclose their vaccination status and only successful candidates will be asked to provide proof of vacation prior to starting work.
- Physically active with the capability of regularly lifting or moving up to 50 lbs.
Who Are We
Catterall & Wright is a locally owned partnership located in Saskatoon providing practical and reliable consulting services since 1965. Our key services include:
- Municipal Infrastructure
- Private land development
- Transportation & Planning
- Commercial Development
- Project Management
- Professional planning services; feasibility reports
We aspire to be THE most respected and trusted municipal engineering firm in our industry. We partner with our clients to deliver the right solution by understanding their needs and adding value to each project. We provide local knowledge and value-added solutions that enable clients to achieve their vision, ensuring continuity of services through practical, cost-effective designs.
Why Join Catterall & Wright
Catterall & Wright has a great team atmosphere with many resources to draw upon to assist in providing a great working environment, on-the-job training, mentoring and coaching. Our office has open-work spaces, a refreshing change from the standard office setting with a young and enthusiastic social and professional network to draw on. Opportunity to work towards a career in a recognized profession on various exciting and innovative projects, all within Saskatchewan. We have a fantastic social committee that plans and organizes numerous events throughout the year.
- Competitive salary;
- Cell phone, meals, mileage and expenses for accommodations will be compensated when required;
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities;
- A safe and healthy work environment.
What to Do Now
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter and resume outlining their skills, experience and interests by Interested applicants should submit cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com. Subject line must reference “Engineering Assistant”.
Thank you to everyone who applies; however, only selected candidates will be contacted.
Offers of employment may require satisfactory Security Background Checks, Reference Checks, Drivers Abstracts, and Drug Testing.
Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is a condition of employment for this position and proof of vaccination will be required, with minimal exceptions, unless prohibited by applicable law.
Check out our website or Facebook for more information on who we are! If you’re looking for a challenge with valuable experience, this is the place for you.